Thursday, August 7, 2008

I've been here for exactly a week

Wow! It's only been a week. I'm starting to feel like this hotel Radisson is my home. In fact, when I was just walking through the lobby, the same exact song was playing as when I arrived at pretty much this same time last Thursday night...Aerosmith, that one from that Summer blockbuster movie I never saw. We've all been making fun of the music from the lobby, the other day it was Culture Club and then I heard a Huey Lewis and the News hit. Some of the 23 year olds I'm working with don't even know these songs. That's when I feel old.

So, I just went to my first movie in Colombia, at a Cine Colombia. When you buy your tickets, which are only 10,000 pesos, which is about $5, you pick your seats from a chart. You can pay a little extra for first class tickets, which we did, because why not. But, I'm not sure what the difference is between first class and not first class. There were a few other differences at the theater. There is this "wall of pop." The wall has a coke machine, then a pepsi machine, then a coke, then a pepsi, and so on for the entire wall. The either/or business of the states apparently doesn't apply here. There are all kinds of different pops here too, like manzana (apple) flavored and other fruit flavored sodas. Here I go, talking up the fruit again. It's just so good here. I can get an avocado for like 30 cents here, I believe they were up to about $3.00 right before I left. They're huge too. We haven't been grocery shopping yet, but I'm so excited to go this weekend. This should be my last night at the Radisson, tomorrow I have to go to school and meet with safety guys and then hopefully sign up for internet and cell phones. After that, more shopping for stuff we need for our apartments. I think we get to move in tomorrow, as long as all the paperwork is finished. It'll be weird to have my own room again. Looking forward to it though. Also, I get to meet the third roommate, Tina, tomorrow. Tara and I have been sharing a hotel room since Miami (last Tuesday), so we've gotten to know each other pretty quickly. Miss everyone at home, hope you're all well.

2 comments:

PJ said...

Random question: Do people in Colombia care about the Olympics?

Amy said...

Listen chica--stop eating so much fruit and get to work on your grad homework!! :) BTW, do they sell Don Q there?