Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The bug situation

I have been mentioning all the great things about Colombia so far, but I feel the need to mention one slight problem, which I dealt with in Puerto Rico, but had blocked out of my memory I guess...the bugs. Right now, I have about 10 mosquito bites on each leg, mostly at the ankle and knee. I scratched one so much yesterday that it bled, ew. I have been using my Deep Woods Off with Deet religiously, but it doesn't seem to keep them away. I think I'm getting the majority of them at school. Although last night, I kept waking up to a mosquito buzzing in my ear! Not only that, because I can get used to it, but the spiders and cucarachas are prevalent too. Yesterday, I was pulling out a textbook from the closet at school and a cockroach ran out. I guess they fly here like they did in PR. This one only ran away, hasn't gotten it's wings yet. But, on the upside, there is a place called Monkey Island here where I can swing in a hammock all day and hang with the monkeys! Haven't been there of course, but as soon as I go, I'll let you all know of course.

What else, we tried to get internet for our computers at home last night, but when we went to sign up they told us that the guy who lived there before cancelled his but the paperwork never went through. This seems to be a recurring problem here...things take FOREVER!

Ok, well I'm off to another new teacher meeting. Thanks for the comments! Oh, and Amy, I checked for Don Q Limon yesterday and they didn't have it. I'll keep looking though.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Maybe there is a company that sells even stronger bug-repellent, I'll look into it. I'm also very excited about Monkey Island. Here's what another South American traveler had to say on the matter: "There are many lodges near Puerto Maldonado (land there and take a boat up-river) that include those two factors, but I think anywhere in the Amazon basin is pretty hammock-y and monkey-y"

Unknown said...

The cockroaches in Alabama are bad enough I can only imagine what south american ones are like. EWWWWW.

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself though. I'm excited to see some pictures.

connie said...

Take some bug pictures so I know what to expect when I visit.

PJ said...

If you have a maid to clean, cook and do laundry, then there's no excuse not to take a little extra time and post some PICTURES!!! Seriously, I'm dying to see some.