Thursday, August 14, 2008

2 down, 9 to go

Well, I guess it's pretty common to get sick when you move to another country. I was told not to drink the water, but I think that the virus I have (nothing major, just feeling achey and have a low fever) was due to one of my favorite things about Colombia...the kiss hello. As the newbies we've met so many new teachers everyday and it's customary to kiss hello,an air kiss, but still that's a lot of handshakes and kisses in the last few days. It's hard to get comfortable when the weather is so warm here. Walking around with a 100 degree temperature when it's 87ish outside is not so pleasant after all. Oh well, at least I'm getting fresh air everyday. Coming soon, I'll post some pictures of my classroom which only has three walls! I have a beautiful view of trees and mountains outside everday. This is quite an improvement from teaching ESL in the dungeon last year, no windows, no fresh air. I'm all about extremes I guess.

I'm the second out of 11 new teachers to get sick. This guy Rob had a bacterial infection and missed yesterday at work. He's back though. I asked him what he did, and he said his wife called Tom, our new teacher guide that helped us shop and find apartments, and he called the pharmacy, ordered an antibiotic, then the pharmacy delivered it to their apartment! I almost wish I was really sick so that I could experience that, I'm so impressed with the health care here so far. Speaking of health care, we have a doctor on campus at school. So, I just popped down to his office a few minutes ago and he's the one who diagnosed me and took my temperature. I had to have him convert my temperature from Celcius to Farenheit, well, because I must have missed that day in math. He was funny, he downloaded it and put it on his desktop. I guess he may be expecting a few more of us new guys in his office in the near future.

3 comments:

connie said...

I've sent this comment about 5 times already--hope it gets through.
I'm sorry you're sick--not surprising with the new climate and people--but a doctor at school is quite convenient. I love the pictures.

Amy said...

Find out what vaccination I can get so I can drink the water without getting sick. :)

Unknown said...

you just need to remember that anything 38 degrees and above is NOT GOOD! XP