Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Finally, a few pictures

An extremely old, old church.
If I recall correctly, this is Simon Bolivar, although at this point in the city tour I was feeling like a tourist and I guess I started to take pictures but not really listen to our guide, which is Tom from school, who tells you things that are half true anyway. There's a story behind the pointing, something about pointing toward the big, giant Jesus to blame him for something...that's all I got.

Here's a group picture in front of El Cristo Rey (the big, giant Jesus) I'll bet you can find me with the palest whitest legs of the entire group can't you? From the left, it's Scott, Tara (roommate), Kate and Jeremy, Lyndi and Rob, Caleb and Angie, Ben and Laura Elena, and myself.


Here's a view of Cali from up in the mountains. I couldn't tell you where I live, except to the South, which would be to the right side of the picture if you're directionally challenged like me.



Here's an upclose picture of him, it's really pretty when it's lit up at night and you look toward the mountain range to the West.













3 comments:

PJ said...

Thanks for the pics, Carrie!

Amy said...

After some extensive research (I'm procrastinating... I have to clean...) I discovered that in fact that is not a statue of Simon Bolivar (However, there is a statue of SB in San Juan, PR) It is a statue of Sebastián de Belalcázar, the founder of Cali, Colombia. According to some random website, here's the deal with the pointing: "Cali was founded by Spanish conqueror Sebastian de Belalcazar on July 25th 1536. He had wanted the city to be built facing the sea but the native people thereof tore the city down after every mere attempt of construction. Sebastian de Belalcazar finally gave up and built his city on the other side of the mountains. Decades later his statue was erected, in his honour, with him overlooking the city he built but pointing in the opposite way, to where he had once envisioned it, next to the sea."

Unknown said...

"amy I am beginning to worry about you!