Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I have a home now.

I live in this neighborhood called El Ingenio, it's nice, there is a basketball court right next door and this mansion of a house that looks like it may have belonged to Scarface at some point. Down the street there is a bakery, a pizza place, and a burger place. Oh yeah, and right across the street is a place to get my nails done, it costs approximately $7.00 to get a manicure and pedicure here! I'm looking forward to my new life of luxury. We also had our maid come this morning and she will be doing all our laundry from the past 2 weeks of living out of suitcases, making copies of keys for us, cooking dinner, and oh yes, cleaning! I don't understand what it's like to have someone do all that for me, in fact, it felt really weird when Tina, my roommate who has lived here for a year already, asked Patricia, the maid, to do all that today! We left her money of course, but still, it seems obnoxious to have someone do things for me that I'm perfectly capable of doing myself. I'm pretty sure I can get used to it though. Oh, and just so I don't sound like a completely spoiled American, we do continue to pay her over the summer months and we also pay for her insurance.

I woke up this morning to the sound of birds chirping and a sunrise which gave me a view of the mountains to the east here, which you can't normally see very often. They are usually blocked by clouds. It was divine. I was too engrossed to grab my camera unfortunately, but hopefully there will be many mornings like today.

I've been working in my classroom and attending meetings all day today. It seems pretty laid back here as far as teaching goes. I have a really fun second grade team. Two teacher, Marco and Kate, are both from Canada. Then, Anita is from Medellin. Everyone here is so friendly and nice and willing to help out, it seems like it'll be a fun atmosphere to teach in. Oh, and did I mention that I will only have 17 students this year? That seems like half a class to me, so I'm really looking forward to that.

After school, I'm going to the equivalent of a Walmart (minus all the lawsuits) called La 14 (La Catorce) where I can buy things for my bathroom, kitchen, room, etc. I'm hoping to get my internet at home set up soon also, possibly this week. I've been told that when Colombians say this week, it can mean any week in the next month or so. Needless to say, I'm not exactly counting on it. I still don't have a working cell phone or hot water at my apartment, but how can I complain when all my clothes will be clean when I get home?

5 comments:

connie said...

Hi Carolina...life is good...sunrise, $7 mani/pedi, pizza and bakery down the street, cooking and cleaning done...fun teachers. We miss you.

Amy said...

I'm curious, what does a Scarface-living mansion look like? BTW: I have it on good authority there is someplace in a country around you where one can lie on a hammock and watch monkeys swinging on trees. Let's go there. And let's think twice about the Inca Trail. Even Joanie said it's hard. And if Joanie thought it was hard, I would probably die trying.

Dee said...

glad to hear things are settling down for you. Can't wait to see pics of the mansion. Whan do you get children? Love ya,dee

Unknown said...

Oh my god...I am addicted to your blog page! You have been doing a good job so far! South American life is very easy to get used to! I miss having a maid that cooks for me! Enjoy!@ miss you!
Luma

danalynn said...

Carrie,
Wow....It looks amazing there and sounds like you are having such a fabulous time! I am so jealous! Things are good here, trying to get the basement organized, have been there all week; but of course with the rainstorm we had last week the closets flooded and everything I sorted over the summer was all over the tables! AHHH!!! We miss you! Stay safe and keep blogging! It is so fun to catch up with you!
Love, Dana