Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dia de No Carros

Last Thursday, the mayor of our city pulled off an amazing feat, he enforced a day of no cars. The only vehicles allowed from 6 a.m. until 8 p.m. were school buses, taxis, doctor's cars, and bullet proof vehicles. This day of no cars was instituted for environmental reasons, to remind people that they don't have to drive their cars everyday, that they can rely on public transportation. I take a school bus everyday, so I wasn't effected.

I found it very interesting though that some of the students here were freaking out at first because they didn't realize they could take their bullet proof windowed cars. There are kids here that are taken to and from school in heavily guarded modes of transportation. It's all very interesting to me. It doesn't scare me, it doesn't make me nervous. We've been told over and over again that the FARC and other guerrilla groups are not out to kidnap American teachers, they may be out to get family members who have a lot of money though.

After all my complaining about not having the internet at home, we finally got it that same day last week. My own computer seems to be giving me some problems now, but my roommate lets me use hers, so I'm feeling better about that. Still updating my blog from work for some reason, maybe I'm avoiding all the work I have to do today.

4 comments:

PJ said...

No cars for a whole day in a major city. That's pretty impressive. Makes Anderson Cooper's effort to have every baseball fan turn off their lights during Game 4 of the National League Championship Series seem pretty worthless.

Bob said...

Hi Carrie. Sue passed on your site address. Great blog site it's fun to read about your adventures in Colombia. Other then no great pizza how is the food down there?

Das Mutter said...

That is an impressive feat. I cannot imagine people here ever doing that, even though I personally lived without a car for 7 years! How did you get to work?

Amy said...

That's really cool. Do other cities do the same?